Building Control Surveyor
Canterbury | London
A Building Control Surveyor (BCS) within Harwood Building Control Approved Inspectors Ltd (HBCAI) is an employee who has not yet obtained full qualifications within the building control industry or full membership to a relevant professional body (ABE/RICS) They will have already completed the minimum qualifications / experience necessary to be able complete simple plan checks and site inspections, but are not able to deal with complex building control issues without further training.
MAIN PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF THE POST
- To undertake duties under appropriate level of supervision with regard to the Building Regulations, relevant legislation, guidance and codes of practice on large projects.
- To manage a portfolio of projects under supervision
- To provide assistance and support to the Building Control Team in all aspects of the office and site environment.
MAIN ACTIVITIES OF THE POST
- Assessment of selected Building Regulations applications to ascertain their compliance with relevant legislation, guidance and codes of practice.
- Perform a range of site inspections to ensure compliance with the Building Regulations.
- Make accurate, comprehensive and timely records.
- Research, develop and provide appropriate technical advice and guidance regarding matters associated with all relevant legislation, guidance and codes of practice, for both internal and external clients.
- To recognise the need for and effectively seek guidance and assistance whenever necessary.
- Provide appropriate support to the building control team as necessary.
- To conduct oneself in such a manner as to promote the building control service.
- To undertake any other duties as may be reasonably required from time to time within the competence of the post holder, as directed by the location Manager.
- To comply with those functions outlined in the Quality Manual for Approved Inspector Services and site inspection, i.e. Initial and Final Notices, etc.
- To communicate effectively (verbally, writing, electronically) to meet the job purpose.
- Ensure records and filing are maintained to ensure the company’s Quality Procedures, service levels and contractual requirements are being met.
- Maintain a positive team environment to promote the overall interests of the company without regard to sectional or divisional boundaries.
- To ensure that when entering site, all regulations, particularly with regard to Health & Safety are strictly adhered to and that all protective/safety equipment is fully utilised.
- To operate within HBCAI terms & conditions, policies and quality assurance system.
- Previous experience working in a Building Control Surveyor position
- Experience in straight forward plan checking and site inspections
- The ability to explain complex issues and legal requirements in simple terms and guidance
- Confidence in providing advice
- Communication skills
- Good IT skills
- Negotiating skills
- Relationship building skills
- Problem solving
- An interest in and the ability to understand and interpret building regulations, construction processes, legislation and requirements
- Good time management
- The ability to pay attention to detail but also to see the bigger picture